5.04.2012

Good Night Mr. Yauch.

For almost as long as I can remember the Beastie Boys have been a part of my life. One of the first Beastie memories I have is as a sixth grader, on a field trip, on the bus, me and my buds rapping all of Licensed to Ill. No jam box, no walkman, no music. All from memory. The whole album. A BUNCH OF CATHOLIC BOYS! Ha. I had the Shake Your Rump cassingle and I wore it out. I didn't understand how mind blowing Paul's Boutique was until later in life, but I knew I loved it. I grew up in Midland, TX and we spent a lot of time riding around in cars listening to the Beastie Boys A LOT. New or old, it didn't matter, we listened to the shit out of the Beastie Boys. In college any party could instantly be made amazing if somebody threw Paul's Boutique on the stereo. Of the Beastie Boys, I always thought MCA was the coolest. He always seemed to be the chill one, the guy who you really wanted to hang out with and drink a beer. As he aged he became a philanthropist and created numerous charities for the disadvantaged. He had a big heart and did a lot to better the lives of many. You were an awesome dude and it is a shame that stupid cancer has taken you from us. You will be missed sir and the world is a lesser place because you are gone. Rest in Peace good sir.

1 comment:

  1. No shit man. So sad about this.
    I still remember listening to the vinyle single for Fight for your Right and No Sleep till Brooklyn in my living room @ dengar. Me and Ralph wore that record OUT! It's one of the few albums i bought on cassette TWICE b/c I wore it out. Game fucking changing.
    I loved Paul's Boutique. No one seemed to get it. that was cool. Then Check your Head? Epic. I got to see them live for that one. I was so happy.
    MCA was also my fav. I loved the scratchy voice and the laid back attitude. he truly was "cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce..."
    RIP Adam, pour a little on the curb ya'll

    ReplyDelete